22 Mar 2010 @ 3:40 PM

The evolution of a new style.

I will admit to having the same thought while I was brewing. It was a novelty idea: “I want to have a dark beer that tastes like an IPA.”

For me, it was about trying to make something dark where the bitterness wasn’t contributed by the roasted grain, but by the hops. A nice malt backbone, a nice dark kind of chocolaty flavor, but a nice hop profile as well. It was a challenge to make something with a unique, balanced flavor from two essentially distinct flavor profiles and have them meet somewhere in a balanced, drinkable, middle ground.

I brewed it up for Fullsteam’s Backyard Brew Fest, and it got great reviews.

Later, I found out that I had actually been brewing in, what people are saying, is a new style. “Cascadian Dark” they call it. In fact, there are already proposed style guidelines for it. Here, let me show you where that style guidelines surprises, bold emphasis mine:

History: A style that came to prominence on the Northwest Coast of North America in the early 21st Century. Northwest hops play key flavor roles, balanced with malt, roast malts give color and flavor, but body should be reminiscent of an IPA, not heavy like a porter or stout. The style celebrates the hops of the Pacific Northwest, but is commonly brewed in other regions.

Really? That’s a lot of Northwestiness. No offense to ya’ll up in the north-left corner, but this is not only limiting, but a little cocky. You don’t think a Black IPA or an IBA or whatever can’t be made without using hops from the Pacific Northwest? I made mine with Goldings and Fuggles. Should that be a new style, too since I wasn’t celebrating the Pacific Northwest? English Cascadian Dark?

I hear the English Cascades are beautiful this time of year.

And, for the record, let me throw this article out there that puts the origin somewhere around the 1880’s. Also, this article which pegs the idea behind the “style” to Greg Noonan up in Vermont. So, nyeah.

I’ve got a healthy load of snark saved up for the name “Cascadian Dark”, too, but I’ll hold onto that because what all of this really got me thinking was this:

How does a new style come into being these days?

Most of the styles that we recognize have some basis in fairly recent history. Not many of our currently recognized styles go back farther than a few hundred years, and only a very few of them you see are from within the past few decades in which we’ve seen the rise of American Craft Beer: American Pale Ale, American India Pale Ale, American Brown Ale, Dark American Lager, American Wheat, American Stout, American Barleywine. You see a trend here?

In all of these cases, the new style is simply a regional style from elsewhere in the world, but with more hops. It’s very American; not just because of the hops, but because of the multicultural background, co-opting, and re-imagining of the concept.

It’s kind of what we’re seeing going on with Breakfast Stouts, as well, which (I’m told) is defined by the presence of oatmeal and coffee. Someone might have thrown coffee into their Oatmeal Stout because they thought that the flavors would work well together, but once many people start brewing them up at what point does it stop being an Oatmeal Stout with Coffee and start becoming Breakfast Stout? At what point is the critical mass upon which a new style is reached?

Similarly, we’ve got a handful of breweries making Black IPAs. Are they now a presence in the marketplace? Sure. But how many are there? 13? 15? 20? 50? Out of 1500 breweries in the country, is 3% enough to declare a new style? Are we just jumping the gun on this because beer geeks (and especially Americans) tend to be rabid classifiers? Or are we jumping the gun because whoever writes out a definition first has the best possibility of getting that definition followed? I’m looking at you Oregon.

Finally, if someone is jumping the gun and pre-defining style, how does that limit creativity in the evolution of that style? It took decades or longer for some of the styles that we brew to develop into how we recognize them today. Isn’t it a little premature to say that something that’s been marketed for a year or two is a new style? What if it hasn’t finished evolving yet?

I don’t have a good answer.

These questions certainly seem to fly in the face of my previous stance on style guidelines and what they mean for the industry, but I’m not sure they do. Part of me would like to see us hang out with these hybrid styles for a little while to see if they stick around before we rush to put labels on them. Brew them, drink them, enjoy them, and play with them in the creative forum that is the craft beer industry because we label them for posterity. I’m pretty certain people will know what you mean when you say a “Black IPA” for now, the silliness of the name notwithstanding.

What do you think? When is the time to declare a new style vs. a creative trend vs. “I put some new stuff in my beer”?

Tags Tags: , , ,
Categories: history, industry, marketing, new beer, op-ed
Last Edit: 22 Mar 2010 @ 05 33 PM

1. Russ says:

Is it bad that, after reading Josh Oakes’ blog entry on the subject, my thoughts lingered on a draught of that d’Anjou Pear iced perry than for any black IPA?

2. Andrea says:

In my opinion a simple trend is not sufficient to define a new style. A beer style is something related with the traditions, or with a particular technique, or with ingredients of the territory. Sometimes with a philosophy, that tends to modify an existent style. But in this case we have a new style? Maybe not, we’ve only a variation of it.
    Here in Italy you can often listen about a new beer style, tipical of Italian brewers: chestnut beers. Chestnut is a particular ingredient, able to characterize very well a beer. And is a ingredient linked with the territory. Moreover, there are a lot of brewers that produce chestnut beers. It’s not only a trend, but something typical of the Italian craft beer. Perhaps if in Italy there was a more developed beer culture, we’ve already have a new beer style…

3. Nate says:

I have little to offer, besides the fact that I’d love to try your black IPA. Goldings and Fuggles are a great choice. I have yet to taste one that I thought was great let alone groundbreaking enough to create a new style.

I can give you the recipe, if’n you want.

5. Nate says:

That would be cool…I’d love to look it over.

Yeah, I’ll post it here when I get a chance.

Also, hello to everyone visiting from the “Cascadian Dark” Facebook group.

I just want to let you all know that it’s not personal, I just think the name is premature, inaccurate, and limits creative growth.

Also, it sounds like it’s made be elves.

7. Big Tex says:

I’d say it’s more of a trend. I’ve seen a few beers somewhere between pale and dark/black that are hopped like an IPA. Right now, I’m thinking of an India Red Ale I’ve tried… delicious, but is it really a new style? No.

As for the Cascadian Dark… well, I dunno. Tons of hops are grown out here, and PacNW folks tend to hop it up more than other places I’ve been/lived. The only breweries around here that do not offer IPA’s and DIPA’s focus on styles indigenous to other countries. So, I see what the name alludes to, but then again, I’ve had dynamite IPA’s from elsewhere.

8. Daniel says:

“… or with ingredients of the territory.”

“The style celebrates the hops of the Pacific Northwest”

It seems that the Cascadian dark should satisfy Andrea’s requirements for being a style. That said, I’m not overly concerned one way or the other what people call it. I’m from Oregon, and when I brew in this style I will likely call it Cascadian something. If other people don’t, that is fine too. Beer is beer, it does not matter what we call it.

9. wonderfulphones says:

??????? » ?????? » ?????? ??? ???????? ??????? – ??????? ????????? ?????? ?? ?????? , 90 % ?????? ??????? ???????? !

10. louisonline says:

Casamento bonito vestidos de festa 2013

11. ncekwanterra says:

3.Take a nap usually in the afternoon.A of course sign of stress is while you’re overworked as well as tired.The best habit to introduce directly into your daily routine should be to take just what exactly some call an energy nap.This may be a short 26 min snooze sometime in the afternoon to recharge your batteries.Not only might you feel far better and re-energized additionally, you’ll feel a health.Not merely is water effective for you but it is usually good for your body and as such helpful to lessen your strain.What you do not need try to be doing will be drinking coffee or alcohol throughout built.

3.Take a nap usually in the afternoon.A of course sign of stress is while you’re overworked as well as tired.The best habit to introduce directly into your daily routine should be to take just what exactly some call an energy nap.This may be a short 26 min snooze sometime in the afternoon to recharge your batteries.Not only might you feel far better and re-energized additionally, you’ll feel a lesser amount of stressed.While never everyone might be in a position to rest during your afternoon with out their boss looking at them which has a frown, you skill instead can be to take a short brisk walk from the normal environment to have your imagination off issues.This could possibly be to walk in the block and also around your office.

5.Calm down, it’s not likely urgent.I know we feel like everything these days is imperative and occasion sensitive yet remember everything will not only fall apart since you didn’t get to be able to reply so that you can someone’s mail within thirty mins.A rapid way to convey yourself needless stress is creating urgency when furthermore there really is not a reason towards.So as an alternative to responding that will emails daily, why not necessarily instead saved a couple of hours day-to-day to respond to them at one time.Instead of taking a the phone while your part way through doing something ignore it to express mail.Will let you colleagues know if you aren’t that should be disturbed.One can find that almost all people will become accommodating and understand.In return you will get to feel a lot more control over your daily routine thereby feel not as much stressed.

12. ncekwanterra says:

A onetime incentive take into consideration reter and try to find a plug inside hybrid power supply.The selling price of standard hybrids raises by about $3000, when adding any such battery towards preexisting models.If quite a few car companies better of the connect in hybrid bandwagon, variances the battery packs may decrease in the future.

A onetime incentive take into consideration regarding the plug in hybrid car will be promise of your Clean Supply Vehicle Fed tax lowering.This incentive ideal for $2000.Remember the fact that you have to replace ones battery often considering that lifespan of a plug with selection might be drastically reduced with the constant getting cycles.Mileage could also be affected from the weight of any plug in battery, which stems from long car or truck rides.Although automobile will likely need to work harder to deal with this fat, it will not produce the slower vehicle.The Web-based is heaped with additional details concerning the plug with hybrid, that is definitely just an excellent as the average, offering even more possibilities.

13. discountugg says:

et the value of all reporter.
    So look long plus hard for your perfect put out.Who could be truly interested in it? We will face it, Oprah in all probability doesn’t care you’ve got developed additions in your product series.
    Seek out publications plus media this match your target audience, not where you’d like to appear.
    Where to locate media listings? Once you actually determine who you wish to send a release to be able to generally, you’ll want to get everything on a media.You may use the following to find who your interested in:
    1) Waves the ‘Net.Several databases are for sale to a rate.But often they are from the budget.Moreover, there will be several free of charge listings involviet the value of all reporter.

1) Waves the ‘Net.Several databases are for sale to a rate.But often they are from the budget.Moreover, there will be several free of charge listings involving media on the net.These will be great to begin with, but often omit important get hold of information and may even never always be updated.

2) Utilize library.Nearly all libraries have resource lookup directories that checklist local along with national newspaper and tv.Take several hours and write down everything you want.You’ll need to remember, on the other hand, that since these directories will be in print, a lot of the listings may be outdated.

3) Use what we already currently have.A smart person is already monitoring what are you doing in his or her target market’s newspaper and tv, often to subscribing so that you can publications as well as using RSS OR ATOM feeds & current information alerts online.(Check out there Google’s News Alerts to make your own).Every time you find a narrative that is related to your niche, write all the way down the name with the reporter plus contact details.

Don’t forget you’ll want to verify the information.Editors and stuff like that often switch roles and also switch providers, so regardless how recent you feel the information and facts is that you’ve, you need to call so that you can verify them.Gatekeepers (the receptionists) is frequently protective by using contact titles and personnel information and incredibly seldom basically give this information away.Asking these to verify what you have can prove to be more prosperous.